Information on Foreign Law
Swedish authorities may turn to the Central Authority for information about the legislation of other states, in both criminal and civil matters. This service is not available, however, to private enterprises or individuals. On request, the Central Authority also gives information about Swedish legislation to foreign authorities.
An inquiry in writing concerning the legal requirements of other states may be sent to the Central Authority by post, fax or email. If the inquiry can be answered directly by the Central Authority because the information is available or can be obtained following a minor investigation, naturally this is done. Otherwise, the Central Authority arranges for the translation of the inquiry and forwards it to the Central Authority in the state in question or to the Swedish Embassy or mission there.
The reply is dispatched as soon as possible and by using the same channels as applied when the inquiry was sent to the Central Authority unless the inquirer and the Central Authority have agreed upon some other procedure. The inquirer himself/herself is always responsible for any translation of the reply to the inquiry.
For information related to the European Convention on Information on Foreign Law, London 7 June 1968, and the Additional Protocol to this Convention, Strasbourg 15 March 1978 search can be made directly at the web-site of the Council of Europe.
Laws, Conventions and Agreements
Ordinance on the right in certain cases to request information on foreign law (1981:366) (only in Swedish)
- European Convention on Information on Foreign Law (SÖ 1969:36 and SÖ 2000:40)
- Additional Protocol to the European Convention on Information on Foreign Law (SÖ 1981:6)
- Agreement with Poland concerning Mutual Legal Assistance in Criminal Matters (SÖ 1990:9)
A list of states which are parties to the different conventions is found in:
- Notification concerning ratifications made by other states of conventions on co-operation in Civil Matters (2007:150 p.6) (only in Swedish)
- Notification concerning ratifications made by other states of conventions on co-operation in Criminal Matters (2007:149 p.7) (only in Swedish)