National Innovation Council’s working methods and members
The work of the Innovation Council is characterised by open discussions. Prime Minister Stefan Löfven is the Council Chair. In addition, the Council comprises members from the business sector and academia, as well as four ministers responsible for different areas.
The Innovation Council is an advisory body that convenes once a quarter. At the Council's meetings, the Government presents ongoing work and collects viewpoints. The issues raised here are taken to the Government Offices with the support of a state secretary group led by the Prime Minister's State Secretary Kristina Persdotter. This enables the members to contribute their special expertise. The recommendations from the Council's members are personal recommendations and the members do not represent any organisation. Nor are the members responsible for political decisions resulting from the Council's work.
The Council includes five ministers and ten members from the business sector, the research community and various organisations. The principal secretary of the Innovation Council is Wille Birksten.
The Prime Minister and the Ministers
Additional ministers may be involved when needed. The Ministers' state secretaries also take part in the Council's meetings.
The Innovation Council's members
- Ola Asplund, Senior Adviser, IF Metall
- Mengmeng Du, entrepreneur and board member of various companies
- Charles Edquist, Professor at the Centre for Innovation, Research and Competence in the Learning Economy (CIRCLE), Lund University
- Darja Isaksson, digital strategist
- Sigbritt Karlsson, President of KTH
- Martin Lundstedt, President and CEO of the Volvo Group
- Johan Rockström, Professor in Environmental Science and Executive Director of Stockholm Resilience Centre at Stockholm University
- Karl-Henrik Sundström, CEO and Managing Director of Stora Enso
- Jane Walerud, entrepreneur
- Carola Öberg, project manager at Innovationsfabriken Gnosjöregionen
To support its activities, the Innovation Council has an office at the Prime Minister's Office.