Embassies and consulates

Sweden has 104 missions abroad, including embassies, representations, delegations and consulates. Together with the approximately 400 honorary consulates, they make up the Foreign Service.

Sweden has diplomatic relations with almost all independent states in the world. It has diplomatic representation in around half of these.

In countries where Sweden does not have an embassy, it is common to appoint a Swedish ambassador in a neighbouring country as a concurrently accredited ambassador. This means that the ambassador is Sweden's non-resident representative to the country and attends to relations through regular visits. Examples of this are Laos, the Philippines and Burma. Swedish interests in these countries are monitored by the Swedish Embassy in Bangkok, and the Swedish Ambassador in Thailand is concurrently accredited in all four countries.

Stockholm-based ambassadors

In some thirty countries, such as Barbados, Haiti, Malta and Tunisia, Sweden's relations are handled by ambassadors in Stockholm. These Stockholm-based ambassadors share common offices at the MFA. They make regular visits to the countries in which they are accredited.

Honorary consulates

The head of an honorary consulate has the title of honorary consul, and is someone who lives permanently in the city in which the consulate is located. An honorary consul can be a Swede or a foreign citizen. He/she does not receive a salary from the MFA; however, expenses incurred in the performance of official duties are reimbursed.

Some honorary consulates can issue provisional passports and distribute driving licences. Many honorary consulates can also distribute passports and driving licences issued by another mission abroad. Further, an honorary consul can issue various certificates, including 'life certificates' for pensioners (i.e. to provide the Swedish Social Insurance Agency with proof that someone is alive).

An honorary counsel can provide assistance in cases involving an emergency, detention, a death or tracing a missing person, after instructions from, and in consultation with, the responsible Swedish embassy. An honorary consulate can contact local authorities regarding different legal matters, but must always consult the responsible Swedish embassy.

Calling an embassy abroad

When you call a number outside of Sweden, you must first dial an international access code. An international access code is a combination of numbers that you dial before the country code. To make an international call from Sweden, you dial 00 and then the country code, the area code and the telephone number. This applies to both fixed and mobile telephony. The '+' key on mobile telephones can be used when making international calls.