Seminar and sightseeing for diplomats last Tuesday
Last Tuesday, 25 October, some forty newly arrived diplomats attended an event organised by the Protocol Department of the MFA, starting with an introduction at Rosenbad Conference Centre.
First, Superintendent Bengt Berglund, head of the Diplomatic Protection Service of the Stockholm County Police, gave a presentation on the work conducted by the Police to protect foreign missions in Stockholm.
One of the questions raised involved cases of burglaries. The reply was that burglaries should be reported in the first place to the Embassy Section of the Stockholm Police for appropriate handling.
Then Andreas Rosenblad, webmaster of the Protocol Department's website, the Diplomatic Portal: www.sweden.gov.se/protocol, gave a presentation on this website.
The diplomats' attention was drawn to the various sections of the Diplomatic Portal:
The Diplomatic Portal includes
- News (directly on the website homepage) - both official messages and press releases for the Diplomatic Corps, as well as general information to facilitate your stay in Sweden.
- Guidance for newly arrived staff
- The Diplomatic Guide - which is continuously reviewed and updated in order to give diplomats the best guidance possible when posted in Sweden, also regarding Swedish society and institutions.
- The Stockholm Diplomatic List and the Consular List
- Circular notes sent by the Protocol Department
- Directory of the Protocol Department
- Useful links
- International Organisations' Guide.
After this introduction, the Stockholm Visitors Board provided a guided tour through Stockholm. The highlight of this trip was a visit to the City Hall, where the President of the Stockholm City Council, Ms Margareta Björk, welcomed the diplomats. The tour concluded at the Royal Palace where the Commandant and his staff showed the premises of the Royal Guards and offered a reception.
(Photos: Julia Servenius, MFA)