A Feminist Government
Sweden has the first feminist government in the world. This means that gender equality is central to the Government’s priorities – in decision-making and resource allocation. A feminist government ensures that a gender equality perspective is brought into policy-making on a broad front, both nationally and internationally. Women and men must have the same power to shape society and their own lives. This is a human right and a matter of democracy and justice. Gender equality is also part of the solution to society’s challenges and a matter of course in a modern welfare state – for justice and economic development. The Government’s most important tool for implementing feminist policy is gender mainstreaming, of which gender-responsive budgeting is an important component.
International conference in Stockholm on men and gender equality
On 15–16 May, Sweden and Minister for Children, the Elderly and Gender Equality Lena Hallengren hosted the 4th International Conference on Men and Equal Opportunities (ICMEO) in Stockholm. Among the 300 participants were several European gender equality ministers, researchers and representatives of government agencies and civil society. The role and responsibility of men and boys in gender equality efforts was in focus, as well as how we change social norms that have negative effects.
SEK 1 billion to Government’s first global gender equality strategy
Funds totalling SEK 1 billion will be used to enhance gender equality for women and girls around the world. This was decided by the Government at its meeting on 12 April. It is the first time that Sweden’s Government has adopted a global thematic strategy for gender equality.
Feminist government policy – a good investment for Sweden and the world
Gender equality part of the solution to challenges in society
“The world’s first feminist government is now implementing a policy to increase gender equality”, the Prime Minister established in the Statement of Government Policy.
- 1 Sweden hosted Stockholm Forum on Gender Equality
- 2 Nordic gender equality ministers acted jointly at CSW62 in New York
- 3 Lena Hallengren new Minister for Gender Equality
- 4 The new Swedish Gender Equality Agency inaugurated in Gothenburg
- 5 The Government takes action against sexual violence and harassment
- 6 Ministerial conference on how gender equality can contribute to fair jobs and growth
- 7 Consent – the basic requirement of new sexual offence legislation
- 8 Sweden best in the EU on gender equality
- 9 Sweden's feminist foreign policy – examples from three years of implementation
- 10 Swedish Government presents feminist policy for a gender-equal future
- 11 Gender equality policy in Sweden
- 12 Swedish Government to establish gender equality agency
- 13 Gender-responsive budgeting
- 14 Swedish ambassador to combat trafficking in human beings
- 15 A review of parental insurance
- 16 Women’s participation helps ensure that peace is more sustainable
Keyboard navigation in the search filter is done by using a combination of the TAB, ENTER, and ARROW keys. Start by pressing the TAB key to enter the filter module. Use the arrow keys to move between tabs. To select a desired tab, use the TAB key.
You can filter the information so that only what you are interested in is displayed
Can't find what you're looking for? Do an advanced search.