A Feminist Government
Sweden has the first feminist government in the world. This means that gender equality is central to the Government’s priorities – in decision-making and resource allocation. A feminist government ensures that a gender equality perspective is brought into policy-making on a broad front, both nationally and internationally. Women and men must have the same power to shape society and their own lives. This is a human right and a matter of democracy and justice. Gender equality is also part of the solution to society’s challenges and a matter of course in a modern welfare state – for justice and economic development. The Government’s most important tool for implementing feminist policy is gender mainstreaming, of which gender-responsive budgeting is an important component.
Handbook on Sweden’s feminist foreign policy launched
On 23 August, Minister for Foreign Affairs Margot Wallström presented a handbook on Sweden’s feminist foreign policy. The handbook shares the lessons and examples of four years of feminist foreign policy. At the same time, it describes just a small sample of all experiences, not least because the work is constantly evolving.
The Governments sub-targets for gender equality
The Governments overarching goal of the gender equality policy is that women and men are to have the same power to shape society and their own lives. Starting from this objective, the Government is working towards six sub-goals.
Feminist government policy – a good investment for Sweden and the world
Gender equality part of the solution to challenges in society
“The world’s first feminist government is now implementing a policy to increase gender equality”, the Prime Minister established in the Statement of Government Policy.
- 1 International conference in Stockholm on men and gender equality
- 2 Sweden hosted Stockholm Forum on Gender Equality
- 3 SEK 1 billion to Government’s first global gender equality strategy
- 4 Nordic gender equality ministers acted jointly at CSW62 in New York
- 5 The new Swedish Gender Equality Agency inaugurated in Gothenburg
- 6 The Government takes action against sexual violence and harassment
- 7 Ministerial conference on how gender equality can contribute to fair jobs and growth
- 8 Consent – the basic requirement of new sexual offence legislation
- 9 Sweden best in the EU on gender equality
- 10 Gender equality policy in Sweden
- 11 Gender-responsive budgeting
- 12 Swedish ambassador to combat trafficking in human beings
- 13 A review of parental insurance
- 14 Women’s participation helps ensure that peace is more sustainable
Keyboard navigation in the search filter is done by using a combination of the TAB, ENTER, and ARROW keys. Start by pressing the TAB key to enter the filter module. Use the arrow keys to move between tabs. To select a desired tab, use the TAB key.
You can filter the information so that only what you are interested in is displayed
Can't find what you're looking for? Do an advanced search.