Regulatory amendments to deal with Brexit
An important part of preparing for a no-deal withdrawal of the United Kingdom is implementing necessary regulatory amendments in both EU legislation and Swedish statutes.
The European Commission’s Brexit preparedness work includes a list of all the proposed legislative amendments to deal with the UK’s withdrawal.
The Swedish regulatory amendments being prepared are listed below under each ministry responsible.
Ministry of Justice
- Measures to make things easier for UK citizens in Sweden in the event of a no-deal Brexit (in Swedish)
Ministry of Health and Social Affairs
- Measures to mitigate the consequences to social security schemes – export of benefits and coverage of costs for health care conducted in the United Kingdom (in Swedish)
- Potential to continue processing ongoing applications on the recognition of professional qualifications for some professions in the health and medical care sector (in Swedish)
Ministry of Education and Research
- Exemption from provisions on application and tuition fees at higher education institutions for certain British citizens after Brexit
- The right of UK citizens not registered in the population register to continue to attend Swedish schools.
Ministry of Enterprise and Innovation
- Temporary exemptions in the Driving Licence Ordinance concerning the validity of UK driving licences in Sweden (in Swedish)
- Amendment to the Vehicle Ordinance to be able to appoint more actors for tests and inspections in type approval procedures for vehicles (in Swedish)
Ministry of Finance
- Transitional solution for access to investment services in certain cases (agreements already entered into) (in Swedish)
- Continued access to international settlement systems – adaptations to the implementation of the Settlement Finality Directive as a result of Brexit (in Swedish)
- Capital increase in the European Investment Bank (EIB) – amending budget for 2019 (in Swedish)