Goals and visions
The objectives for cultural policy are that culture is to be a dynamic, challenging and independent force based on freedom of expression, that everyone is to be able to participate in cultural life, and that creativity, diversity and artistic quality are to be integral parts of society’s development.
To achieve these objectives, cultural policy is to:
- promote opportunities for everyone to experience culture, participate in educational programmes and develop their creative abilities;
- promote quality and artistic renewal;
- promote a dynamic cultural heritage that is preserved, used and developed;
- promote international and intercultural exchange and cooperation; and
- pay particular attention to the rights of children and young people to culture.
More objectives in the area of culture that are subject to Riksdag decisions
The cultural area also contains objectives that are subject to Riksdag decisions in literature and reading promotion, film,architecture, form and design, archives and the cultural environment.
Literature and reading promotion
The Riksdag has adopted the following national objectives for the policy for literature and reading promotion:
Everyone in Sweden, regardless of background and on the basis of each individual's particular circumstances, is to be given the opportunity to develop good reading skills and have access to high-quality literature.
The objectives for national film policy will be the following:
- Quality Swedish film is developed and produced continuously in different parts of the country.
- Increasing numbers of people see quality films that are disseminated and screened in various screening formats throughout the country.
- The film heritage is preserved, used and developed.
- Swedish films are disseminated more abroad and there is advanced international exchange and cooperation in the area of film.
- Children and young people have good knowledge about film and moving images and are given opportunities to be creative themselves.
- Gender equality and diversity characterise the area of film.
- Films help to strengthen freedom of expression and the public debate.
Architecture, form and design
The following are the objectives for central government work concerning architecture, form and design:
- Good conditions are to be provided for the development of architecture, form and design.
- Quality and aesthetic aspects must not be subordinated to short-term financial considerations.
- Cultural heritage and aesthetic values in existing environments are to be preserved and reinforced.
- Interest in high quality in architecture, design and public environments is to be strengthened and broadened.
- Construction, interior design and procurement undertaken or financed by public bodies are to handle quality issues in an exemplary way.
- Swedish architecture and design are to be developed in fruitful international cooperation.
The Riksdag has adopted objectives for central government archive activities, as expressed in the Archives Act. The objectives are intended to:
- improve access to official documents and other archive material;
- clarify and reinforce the importance of archives as a source of information and knowledge about society and its development; and
- develop methods and knowledge in the area of archives.
In accordance with the objectives for cultural environment activities, central government cultural environment activities are to promote:
- a sustainable society with a diversity of cultural environments that are preserved, used and developed;
- public participation in cultural environment activities and opportunities to understand and take responsibility for the cultural environment;
- an inclusive society with the cultural environment as a shared source of knowledge, education and experiences; and
- a holistic approach to landscape management so that account is taken of the cultural environment in the development of society.