Total defence receives SEK 500 million in additional funding
In the spring budget, the Government has proposed extra funding to strengthen total defence this year. The Government is allocating an additional SEK 500 million to the Swedish Armed Forces and Sweden’s total defence capability in 2017.
In the spring amending budget, the Government has proposed additional funding of SEK 405 million to the Swedish Armed Forces. This additional funding will be used to:
- increase the preparedness and availability of military units;
- strengthen the Battlegroup of Gotland with anti-aircraft capability;
- carry out exercises and increase the numbers involved in exercises that are already planned;
- improve cyber security; and
- purchase spare parts and vehicles for units.
In addition, the Government has proposed SEK 60 million to strengthen municipalities' and county councils' work in the area of civilian defence, SEK 15 million for the county administrative boards for total defence planning, SEK 10 million for the National Defence Radio Establishment to strengthen society's resilience to cyberattacks against vital public services and SEK 10 million for the Swedish Civil Contingencies Agency for efforts to counter cyber-attacks.
On 18 April the Government presented its 2017 Spring Fiscal Policy Bill to the Riksdag, together with an amending budget for 2017.