Sweden’s strategy for development cooperation with Iraq in 2017-2021 Reference No.: UD2017/12565/MENA
Within the framework of this strategy, Sweden’s development cooperation with Iraq will contribute to peacebuilding and statebuilding in the country. The aim is to contribute to a peaceful society, respect for human rights and gender equality. The strategy will apply for the period 2017–2021 and comprise SEK 1 billion for activities implemented by the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida) and SEK 30 million for activities implemented by the Folke Bernadotte Academy (FBA) for the entire period.
Sida's activities are to contribute to the following objectives:
Peaceful and inclusive societies
- Improved resilience in particularly vulnerable areas, focusing on better, gender-equal and equitable access to basic social services.
- Enhanced capacity in public institutions at different levels and improved opportunities for participation in democratic and peacebuilding processes, not least for women.
- Better conditions for civil society to organise, focusing particularly on peacebuilding and human rights work, including for boys and girls.
- Increased gender equality and greater respect for women's and girls' enjoyment of their human rights.
- Increased participation by women in democratic and peacebuilding processes.
- Enhanced capacity to prevent and combat sexual and gender-based violence.
The FBA's activities are to contribute to the following objectives:
- Better conditions for reconciliation and inclusive peacebuilding and statebuilding.