This content was published in the period between
Minister of Defence Peter Hultqvist signed US-Swedish Statement of Intent
On 8 June, Swedish Minister for Defence Peter Hultqvist and US Secretary of Defence Ashton Carter signed a bilateral Statement of Intent. The statement sets out a strategic resolve to increase understanding and cooperation between the two countries’ defence ministries, armed forces and defence agencies.
"The aim is to build on current cooperative activities and to identify and prioritise new initiatives. We intend to work together to develop our defence capabilities, enhance our interoperability and our ability to deploy alongside each other operationally, thereby improving the efficiency and effectiveness of our defence efforts", says Peter Hultqvist.
The efforts to further strengthen bilateral cooperation between Sweden and the United States are divided into five key areas:
- Enhancing interoperability
- Strengthening capabilities and posture through training and exercises
- Deepening armament cooperation
- Advancing cooperation in research and development and
- Meeting common challenges in multilateral operations.