Swedish Defence Commission
On 9 January 2017, the Defence Commission were given instructions for its continued work. Not later than 14 May 2019, the Commission is to submit a defence and security policy report to the Government. The report will constitute an important basis for the next defence bill 2020.
The Defence Commission is a forum for consultation between the Government and representatives of the political parties in Riksdag. The objective is to achieve the broadest possible unity with respect to how Sweden's defence and security policy is to be designed. The Government forms its proposals for Riksdag based on reports from the Defence Commission.
The task of the Defence Commission is also to remove focus from current issues. By analysing important changes in international development, globally and for relevant regions, and particularly the development in Europe and Sweden's surroundings, the Commission is then able to figure out the consequences this trend will have for Sweden's defence.
Openness and transparency are key to the Commission's work. This is secured by transparent meetings, dialogues and hearings.
Composition of Defence Commission
The Defence Commission comprises members of the eight parties of the Riksdag, experts and a secretariat.
The Chairman of the Defence Commission is Björn von Sydow (S).
Specialists and/or experts participate from the Ministry of Justice, the Ministry for Foreign Affairs, the Ministry for Defence and the Ministry of Finance, as well as the Swedish Armed Forces and the Swedish Civil Contingencies Agency.
The secretariat is headed by the principal secretary, Tommy Åkesson, who is assisted by four secretaries.
Defence Commission instructions
On 9 January 2017, the Defence Commission was issued instructions for its continued work. Not later than 14 May 2019, the Commission is to submit a defence and security policy report to the Government. The report will constitute an important basis for the next defence bill 2020.
Pursuant to the government instructions, the Defence Commission is to:
- report its assessment of the security policy development and the coherent consequences for the Swedish defence and security policy based on an analysis of the international development,
- depending on the needs during a state of emergency and ultimately war, submit proposals for the continued focus of the total defence (military and civil defence) for the years 2021-2025, and in particular, highlight the continued development of a cohesive planning for the total defence,
- note, for the total defence, the relevant parts of the broader, complex threat environment that characterises security policy crises, during both peacetime and a state of emergency including so-called hybrid war faring,
- highlight the relevance of the capabilities of the war organisation and the military in the national defence perspective and the possibility to participate in international peace-keeping operations given the security policy development and in particular, highlight the need for defence capability on Gotland,
- analyse the need to develop the defence intelligence capability and develop the platform for cyber capability in the Armed Forces,
- note the global capability trend and consequences for the war organisation, and pay attention to the development of the defence cooperation in which Sweden participates and in particular, report further in-depth cooperation with Finland,
- submit a focus for the civil defence and note and analyse the ambition levels for various preparedness measures pertaining to the protection of essential public services and infrastructure, population protection, maintenance, psychological defence and advocacy operations, as well as cooperation and coordination within the total defence,
- secure the objective in broader security policy issues within the framework for confidence-building measures and initiatives in armament control, etc., report possible efficiency enhancements and consequences of proposals including costs, and suggest how these are to be financed and the effects for order of duty.