3.1 Visas

Staff and their family members who form part of the household should apply for a D visa for entry to Sweden. The application should be submitted to the Swedish embassy in the sending State or to the nearest Swedish embassy in the region. Information about all Swedish embassies can be found on Sweden Abroad.

The visa application should be submitted well in advance of departure for Sweden, together with a verbal note from the sending State containing information regarding the name, rank and function, family members belonging to the household, expected date of entry and commencement of duty, as well as expected duration of the tour of duty. The predecessor's name and rank should also be specified.

A visa is not required if bilateral agreements on the waiving of visa requirements have been concluded.

Diplomats are expected to hold diplomatic passports.


Protocol Department
Ministry for Foreign Affairs
Visiting address Gustav Adolfs torg 1
Address 103 39 STOCKHOLM
email to Protocol Department