19.1 Criteria for an honorary consul
Criteria applied when considering a request for an honorary consul (in Sweden)
- Consular posts are established on a reciprocal basis.
- There should be an identified need for the provision of consular services.
- Meaningful consular functions should be exercised by honorary consular offices on a regular basis.
- A consular post should preferably be established in a city, not in a rural area.
- If a country does not have a diplomatic mission in Sweden, it is recommended that a consular post be established in the capital or in one of the major cities in Sweden.
- Consul Generals may act as head of consular posts in the main cities.
- No country may have more than two honorary consular officers belonging to the same consular post, including the head.
- In principle, the Ministry for Foreign Affairs will not agree to the establishment of a new consulate in or near Stockholm, if a diplomatic mission already exists in the capital.
- The consular district may comprise the whole of Sweden, one or several counties or a city.
Ministry for Foreign Affairs
Visiting address Gustav Adolfs torg 1
Address 103 39 STOCKHOLM
email to Protocol Department