Skip to content

11.4 Building and alterations of real estate

Missions are obliged to respect local regulations concerning building permits. Before acquiring a property with the intention of new constructions, it is advisable to consult the local building committee.

A building permit (bygglov) must be obtained for, inter alia:

  • new constructions
  • alterations of existing constructions
  • building walls or close-boarded fences.

A building permit may also be necessary if the use of a property is changed from eg. residence to office.

Certain modifications on an existing construction require notification (bygganmälan).

A demolition permit (rivningslov) is required for demolition.

For more comprehensive measures, like excavations etcetera, a site improvement permit (marklov) is required.

Applications and notifications are submitted to the Stockholm City Planning Administration/Building permit section (Stadsbyggnadskontoret). Information can be found in English on the website of the Municipality.

City of Stockholm

If the real estate is situated in another municipality than the City of Stockholm, the website of the Swedish Association of Local Authorities and Regions (SKL) will assist in finding the relevant municipality's website for contact details.

Swedish Association of Local Authorities and Regions

A decision from the municipality will normally be given within ten weeks.

The Planning and Building Committee may also order building works to be stopped, for example if it is clear that the works are in breach of applicable regulations.


Protocol Department
Ministry for Foreign Affairs
Visiting address Gustav Adolfs torg 1
Address 103 39 STOCKHOLM
email to Protocol Department