Skip to content

16.4 Special rules for EU/EEA citizens

As an EU/EEA or Swiss citizen, you are entitled to health care under the same health scheme as people who are insured and residing in Sweden, provided that you can present a certificate from Försäkringskassan (the Swedish Social Insurance Agency).

To obtain such a certificate from Försäkringskassan, you must send a S1 or E106 certificate issued by your national health authority to Försäkringskassan. If your national health authority uses the certificate E106, you must also include information about your family members who also live in Sweden during the period of which the certificate E106 is valid, for example in a separate letter. Please apply for the S1 or E106 certificate from the national health authority in your country of residence prior to arrival in Sweden.

The certificate (S1 or E106) should be sent to the following address:

Försäkringskassans inläsningscentral, 839 88 Östersund

For further information, please contact the department for international care at Försäkringskassan at telephone number 0771-524 524 or visit Försäkringskassan’s website.

When visiting a health facility, a fixed-rate administrative fee will be charged. The fee varies from one county or municipality to another, but amounts to approximately SEK 100-300 for primary care and SEK 200-400 for emergency care. Higher fees normally apply for dental care.


Protocol Department
Ministry for Foreign Affairs
Visiting address Gustav Adolfs torg 1
Address 103 39 STOCKHOLM
email to Protocol Department