Skip to content

17.4 Upper secondary school (ages 16–19)

After compulsory school, most students attend upper secondary school, which is preparatory for higher education. Alternatively, they attend higher vocation education centres. Adult education is available at municipal schools, as well as at folk high schools, which are independent adult education colleges.

Upper secondary schools are free of charge for students who are EU/EEA citizens, since all upper secondary schools can apply for, and will be granted, government grants that cover the tuition fee. The municipality does not receive the government grant for children of members of diplomatic missions who are not EU/EEA or Swiss citizens. These pupils are therefore referred to international schools. Please note that international schools are allowed to charge extra fees in addition to the tuition fee. Each school has its own fees. For information about the fees of a specific school, please contact the school you are interested in. See chapter 17.5 for a non-exhaustive list of international schools.

For general information on admission to upper secondary school in Stockholm County:

Upper Secondary Schools Admission Office in Stockholm County


Protocol Department
Ministry for Foreign Affairs
Visiting address Gustav Adolfs torg 1
Address 103 39 STOCKHOLM
email to Protocol Department